Tuesday, May 7, 2013

My Etsy Coming Out Story...

I Love Etsy Pillow made by Pillowthrowdecor
What is Etsy? Wikipedia defines Etsy as an e-commerce website focused on handmade or vintage items as well as art and crafts supplies. I would agree with that but what does it mean for real? Founder Rob Kalin finally said he made the word up. Etsy was taken from the word, "etsi" in Italian meaning, "oh yes". Not sure if I believe that...but for now I will accept that answer. When I first perused Etsy over 3 years ago it was love at first "site"...lol. It was like the best craft fairs I had ever been to, open 24 hours a day, all in one spot. I have to admit countless hours were spent looking at things people made that I didn't even know existed. 

Etsy Addict Magnet by Allegrae
When I first found Etsy I was working nights at QVC and a coworker of mine was selling Artist trading cards online.  She would come to work and make her art while talking to customers on the phone. As I'm sure my old boss would not like me to say nights at QVC was our own little playground. People did every kind of craft imaginable, beading, crocheting, card making. I even saw someone plug in a little iron for her quilting. I can say from experience all the representatives were so calm from crafting there was rarely any problems. As the black sheep, reading my true crime novel, I watched my crafty co-workers and became intrigued. She crafted a whimsical little mermaid with sea shells glued to the bottom. I could have looked at it for hours. Like a little vacation in a tiny little picture. 

Original Artist Trading Card by Frances Perea
That weekend I went to Joanns craft store and lost my mind buying all kinds of paper for my new hobby. I dragged my bestie to the goodwill and our favorite antique shop for some old sheet music. What a find... sheet music for only 10 cents each. That is just something you could never have enough of. Glorious songs of yester year, stained with a beautiful vintage patina, smelling as if they were in someones piano bench for more time than I can relate. That weekend you could not see the ground in my craft room just confetti from my feverous cutting and pasting.

I Etsy when no one is looking button by Allegrae

I started selling on ebay just because I had already been selling antiques on there and was familiar with it. They changed the pricing structure after a few months and it just didn't work for me selling most items under 5.00. So I made the jump to Etsy and within one week I had my first sale. I was so excited! And from then on it didn't stop. I quit my day job at QVC to open my Etsy shop full time and haven't stopped since. I am coming out of the closet today and admitting my etsy addiction. If you have not checked out Etsy, please do, and join me in my Etsy fixation! Make sure you have a big cup of coffee, comfy pj's and the honeys credit card. Guaranteed to find something for everyone!

Mason Jar Thank You Tags from my shop LazyDayCottage





No comments:

Post a Comment